Start a new topic
Solved

Permissions of entries in the /proc filesystem

I am currently testing an Ubuntu VPS. I noticed that normal (non-root) users of my system cannot use some commands like w, uptime, etc. They compain about the /proc filesystem not being mounted, while it is. After doing some investigations, I noticed that some "files" under /proc have wrong permissions (they are non-readable by a non-root user). Comparing them with a standard system, I corrected some of the permissions, so that these commands run with no error. Is there a problem with the Ubuntu 18.04 pure OS image? Also some other commands and daemons (like downtimed, ntpd) give errors. But, I guess this is due to restrictions of the underlying virtualization system you are using. Is there a remedy for this?

By default, all files that are meant to be user readable in proc are set so, and the utilities mentioned work just fine. I would guess that the "permission corrections" likely resulted in the problems you are describing- I invite you to create another container and check for yourself. If you'd like the full command output and their corresponding permissions let me know and I can post them here for you.

Actually it was a pretty new server (only apt update and upgrade). I am an experienced (20+ years) Unix admin and user. So I don't think I messed up the system. I would be more than happy to re-test with a new server though. However, since, I am allowed to have only one server, I cannot do this unless I delete my current server (which I do not want right now).

I have provisioned an extra machine to your account for testing, please let me know if you have anything further to add and we'll be happy to take a look.

Thank you! I created a new MICRO server (ss3srv), because the system does not allow me to have two FREE servers. The permissions of the /proc entries seem to be correct in this new server. However, there is one difference between this one and my older (ss1srv) server. The kernel is different. The new server:

Linux ss3srv 4.15.18-1-pve #1 SMP PVE 4.15.18-15 (Wed, 04 Jul 2018 15:42:56 +0200) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

The old server:

Linux ss1srv 4.15.17-1-pve #1 SMP PVE 4.15.17-8 (Thu, 03 May 2018 08:43:38 +0200) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

So, this new server (with a newer kernel), may be from a newer image which does not have this problem.

Note: The old server was created on the 8th of July.

Thanks for that info Fedon, just to note, you aren't restricted to the Free plan in beta, you can use any of the available plans (take note of the banner on every landing page that says no charges will be applied while we are in beta.)

If the issue resurfaces please let us know and we'll be happy to take a look.

1 person likes this
Login or Signup to post a comment