Moodle is a free and open-source learning management system. It is designed to help educators create effective online courses, is available in over 100 languages, and is used worldwide. This guide will show you how to deploy a SkySilk VPS for Moodle hosting.
How to set up a Moodle server with SkySilk VPS in 10 Steps
If you want to restart the install process on your VM you can use the following command; 'turnkey-init'.
1. Deploy a SkySilk Moodle VPS Template.
2. Login to your VPS. SSH into your VPS using root@ipaddress and the password you set in the SkySilk dashboard. If you are connecting from a Unix-like machine (Mac OS or Linux), or by using PuTTY with Windows then the command to connect is simply:
ssh [user]@[ip address]
where [user] is your username, typically root, and [ip address] is the IP address of the virtual machine.
# for example: ssh firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Choose a MySQL password and confirm:
4. Enter and confirm a new password for your Moodle admin account:
5. Press Enter or Skip on the Initialize Hub Services screen:
6. Enter your email if you would like system notifications. Otherwise, press Enter.
7. Press Enter to Install Security Updates screen:
- Take note of your Moodle domain addresses:
8. Navigate to your Moodle server on the web. Open your web browser and go to your SkySilk VPS IP Address, you should be brought to your Moodle login page. You may have to bypass security settings (click Proceed to IP Address to continue to your login page):
9. Login with the username 'admin' and the password you set in Step 4.
10. Start using your hosted Moodle server with SkySilk!
For additional resources on specifics of using Moodle, please consult Moodle Support and Community reference material: