Observium is a low-maintenance auto-discovering network monitoring platform supporting a wide range of device types, platforms and operating systems including Cisco, Windows, Linux, HP, Juniper, Dell, FreeBSD, Brocade, Netscaler, NetApp and many more. Observium focuses on providing a beautiful and powerful yet simple and intuitive interface to the health and status of your network. This guide will show you how to deploy a SkySilk VPS for Observium hosting.
How to set up an Observium server with SkySilk VPS in 10 Steps
If you want to restart the install process on your VM you can use the following command; 'turnkey-init'.
1. Deploy a SkySilk Observium VPS Template.
2. Login to your VPS. SSH into your VPS using [email protected] and the password you set in the SkySilk dashboard. If you are connecting from a Unix-like machine (Mac OS or Linux), or by using PuTTY with Windows then the command to connect is simply:
ssh [user]@[ip address]
where [user] is your username, typically root, and [ip address] is the IP address of the virtual machine.
# for example: ssh [email protected]
3. Choose a MySQL password and confirm:
4. Enter and confirm a new password for your Observium admin account:
5. Press Enter or Skip on the Initialize Hub Services screen:
6. Enter your email if you would like system notifications. Otherwise, press Enter.
7. Press Enter to Install Security Updates screen:
- Take note of your Observium domain addresses:
8. Navigate to your Observium server on the web. Open your web browser and go to your SkySilk VPS IP Address, you should be brought to your Observium login page. You may have to bypass security settings (click Proceed to IP Address to continue to your login page):
9. Login with the username 'admin' and the password you set in step 4.
10. Start using your hosted Observium server with SkySilk!
For additional resources on specifics of using Observium, please consult Observium Support and Community reference material: